Do you want to make powerful herbal medicines that actually work?
We are here to show you how to confidently make strong and effective herbal medicine.
Herbs can safely take care of so many of your health needs. However, knowing how to make effective herbal remedies is critical to your success.
With the rising popularity of natural remedies, the Internet has become flooded with everything from herbal fads to free yet dangerous advice.
As a result, trying to learn about herbs can often feel haphazard and overwhelming as you attempt to sort through information that is flat-out wrong, outdated, or overly simplified. This can lead to confusion and weak herbal medicines.
For example, if you search online for “how to make herbal tea,” you will get tens of thousands of pages of information. Most of those offer the simple instructions of “place 1 teaspoon of herb in a cup of water for 5 minutes.”
If that is your sole approach to making teas, you will be continually disappointed with the results and probably have years of trial and error.
Rooted Medicine Circle gives you clear training so that you can make potent herbal medicines with confidence.
Learning effective medicine making skills is an important step to herbal success. But it's just the beginning...
What's the real secret to making successful herbal remedies?
Today, we see a lot of emphasis put on what herbs are good for.
Take turmeric for inflammation! Dandelion root for the liver!
However, when we reduce plants to a simple equation of take xyz herb for xyz problem, the heart and soul of herbal medicine is erased.
Herbalism isn't about throwing back dropperfuls of a tincture. It's about transforming your life by becoming deeply rooted in the natural world, its seasonal rhythms, and your place within it.
The real secret to making successful herbal remedies is connection.
What sounds more healing to you?
Deeply healing herbal medicine goes beyond what herb you take, and encompasses your relationship to the earth, the plants, and their medicines.
Herbal medicine rooted in your connection to nature and made with your own hands has the most powerful benefits — for your personal healing, community well-being, and the health of our planet.
We're here to guide you along the way.
Join Our Medicine Making Circle
Rooted Medicine Circle guides you, step-by-step, in making high-quality herbal medicines while deepening your relationship with the natural world.
Over the course of the seasons, you will fill your home apothecary with effective remedies like potent teas, tinctures, and vinegars; salves and ointments to soothe your skin; and delicious, nourishing foods. As your experience grows, you will have the confidence and knowledge to use your herbal medicines safely and effectively.
The skills you learn in Rooted Medicine Circle will help you avoid costly mistakes and create powerful medicines for a lifetime.
How Rooted Medicine Circle Works
Rooted Medicine Circle is a 10-month, online experience that guides you through the seasons where you live while you learn core herbal medicine making skills.
Unlike many online courses, this isn’t about doing it all by yourself!
You'll be part of a supportive, interactive, and inclusive community where you can ask questions and share what you're learning as we grow together. In all, there are over 50 hours of live classes spread over 10 months.
• Live medicine making classes (1-2 times per month)
• Monthly Q&A sessions
• Monthly meetups
All classes will be recorded and available for future viewing and you have lifetime access to the course.
Together, we will make herbal preparations like...
Teas & Decoctions
Syrups & Honeys
Vinegars & Oxymels
Tinctures & Glycerites
Infused Oils, Salves, Creams
Poultices & Compresses
Powders & Pastilles
Food & Drinks
Naturally address common ailments including:
• Back pain
• Colds and flu
• Cuts and scrapes
• Digestive complaints
• First-aid conditions
• Joint pain
• Menstrual cramps
• Muscle spasms and strains
• Nervous system depletion
• Respiratory conditions
• Skin conditions
• Sore throats
Here's what you get...
Alongside the interactive community, you will receive over 400 pages of beautifully illustrated Rooted Medicine Circle materials (worth over $500). These are accessible online, downloadable, and printable.
• Medicine making tutorials for over 15 essential herbal preparations, including best practices, supply lists, recipes, shelf-life tips, and troubleshooting advice
• Herbal cheat sheets including tea charts and handy herbal calculators to take the guesswork out of making potent tinctures and glycerites
• Extensive material medica including over 50 herbal monographs focused on common plants and abundant weeds
• Over 65 recipes to fill your kitchen with original teas, tinctures, oils, medicinal foods and drinks, and more
• Guides to botany, ethical foraging, sustainable herb sourcing, and naturalist skills that will grow your connection to the living world around you, instilling a daily practice of wonder and awe
• Extensive notes and handouts for record keeping, journaling, etc.
Rooted Medicine Circle is easy to access on all internet-connected devices, and once you enroll, you'll get immediate, lifetime access to the course site.
We’ve carefully created bonuses to support your growth with nature connection and medicine making. They include...
• A community forum that connects you with a group of nature-loving people who are also filling their apothecaries with transformational remedies
• Wildcrafter’s Toolkit, a 12-part video course on foraging. Includes ethical wildcrafting skills, plant identification, and how to harvest and process plants.
• Membership in United Plant Savers, an organization dedicated to the preservation of medicinal plants
• 10% off Mountain Rose Herbs for bulk herbs and medicine making supplies
• A digital copy of our best-selling book, Wild Remedies
New for 2023
• Monthly seasonal celebrations circle to inspire you to create meaningful traditions rooted in the living world around you
• Braiding Sweetgrass book club to gather together to discuss this transformative book by Robin Wall Kimmerer
Honor Your Herbal Path With a Certificate
Upon successful completion of each module plus a capstone project that pulls your entire year together, you’ll receive a Rooted Medicine Circle certificate that acknowledges your time, energy, and growth. This beautiful certificate can be hung on your wall to honor your studies and it can be used to prove continuing education (for example, as part of an application for the American Herbalists Guild).
Join the Circle!
Are you tired of feeling alone and confused in your herbal studies?
Are you ready to say "yes" to living your dreams as a confident herbalist with a kitchen full of potent herbal remedies that you can rely on?
With Rooted Medicine Circle, you will confidently make herbal medicines you can trust, while feeling supported and inspired every step of the way.
And the best part is, you get all this live instruction, feedback, and support without having to leave your own kitchen.
With all the money you’ll save by making your own remedies, and with all the incredible value you get from our mentorship, live classes, and extensive course materials, this 10-month course is easily worth $3,000.
But $3,000 is not the tuition price for 2023. We know this is a life-changing course and want you to be part of it! To make it more affordable, we are offering this course at 50% less than its value.
When paying monthly, the cost of Rooted Medicine Circle is less than you'd spend on a weekend herbal class. Or, you can pay in full and basically get two months free.
Enrollment closes soon. We look forward to spending the next year making medicines together!
Rosalee de la Forêt, RH, is passionate about inspiring you to enjoy plants every single day, whether it’s marveling their beauty or using their gifts as food and medicine. She is the best-selling author of the books Alchemy of Herbs and Wild Remedies and a registered herbalist with the American Herbalists Guild. In addition to writing books, Rosalee has taught thousands of students about herbs through her podcast, YouTube channel, and online courses. Rosalee lives in a log cabin in the northeastern cascades of Washington State with her husband.
Emily Han is a naturalist, herbalist, and educator helping people cultivate their attention and connection with the Earth. Based in Altadena, CA, Tongva/Kizh land, her work weaves intersections of ecology, culture, food, plant medicine, and her mixed-Asian heritage. She is the author of Wild Drinks and Cocktails, Wild Remedies, and the forthcoming Mushroom Hunting.
2023 Guest Teachers
Kat Sanchez is teaching Garden Guidance. Creator of Guided Botanicals, Kat is a first-generation mixed Chicana with Balkan & Irish ancestry born and raised in Kizh Land, Whittier, CA. She is a garden guide, herbalist, aromatherapist, & artisan who has been growing healing gardens for 20+ years.
Damiana Calvario is teaching Intro to Flower Essences. Damiana’s practice blends together her Mexican roots, family's kitchen remedies, Curanderismo studies, western herbal training and Indigenous full spectrum doula training.
We know that Rooted Medicine Circle will help you become a confident home herbalist!
But you don’t have to take our word for it! Hear what previous students have to say...
"This is one of the best classes I have ever taken! I am so much more confident now in my herbal medicine making skills, and it was such a joy to learn from Rosalee and Emily along with the community of learners they nurtured."
– Melissa Hunter
"Learning to actually be successful in using what is on hand and making remedies that actually work has been a monumental shift in my life this year. I have been chipping at this as best as I can for several years, but this is the course that made it happen. This is the type of experience where an initial investment of money transforms into something else entirely: community, a sense of place, and healing."
– Kyle Putnam
"Rooted Medicine Circle is a one-of-a-kind learning experience you will not regret. It's like having Rosalee and Emily at your side as you journey through making all kinds of medicines and getting to know the plants. They left no stone unturned, offering office hours, support, and ways for the community to connect. [This experience] not only taught me about so many plants and how to make medicines with them but also connected me more to my own surroundings, community, and the natural world."
– Kim Liu
Click here for more testimonials
Frequently Asked Questions...
Is Rooted Medicine Circle right for me?
This course is ideal for you if...
• You're tired of skipping around the Internet for bits and pieces of herbal information and are ready for an inspiring and comprehensive course.
• You want to impress your friends and family with powerful and effective herbal medicines.
• You want mentors who will answer your questions so you can be confident in the herbal preparations you make.
• You are a beginner, intermediate, or even advanced herbalist who yearns for a deeper connection to the natural world (whether you live in the city, suburbs, countryside, Northern or Southern Hemisphere).
• You recognize that healing involves more than swallowing an herbal capsule, and you're excited to go deeper by developing relationships with the plants and handcrafting your own remedies.
• You are excited (and committed) to being a part of an inclusive community that respects and values all abilities, ages, body sizes, ethnicities, gender identities and expressions, races, religions, and sexual orientations.
Who won't benefit from this course?
We have carefully created this course for people who want to make strong herbal medicine and feel more deeply connected to the plants themselves.
But this course isn’t for everyone and we don’t want to waste anyone’s time!
This course isn’t for you if...
• Your idea of health is simply taking herbal pills instead of pharmaceutical drugs.
• You want to memorize what herbs are good for, without studying the plants themselves.
• You want to buy 100% of your herbal medicines.
• You aren’t interested in learning about the plants, animals, insects, etc. that live around you.
• You are seeking help for a specific health-related problem.
What can I do after completing Rooted Medicine Circle?
Here are some of the things you will be able to do after completing the course...
• Confidently make your own powerful herbal remedies like teas, tinctures, capsules, vinegars, oils, and more (over 15 remedies total).
• Effectively use natural medicines to address your everyday health concerns (from acne to stomachaches).
• Save LOTS of money by making your own potent herbal medicines and body care products.
• Be a resource of herbal wisdom in your family and community.
• Safely and sustainably grow, wild harvest, and process your own herbs.
• Create an immersive herbal lifestyle for you, your family, and friends.
• Boost your wellness by knowing how to add delicious herbs to your foods and drinks.
• Experience a deep connection to the living world around you, from plants to animals to soil microbes.
Can't I just learn this information for free online?
You might be wondering why we would offer a course when there’s so much free information already out there.
Here’s the thing: if you are someone who loves spending hours sorting through lots of confusing misinformation, and you don’t mind making a lot of unnecessary mistakes along the way, then you will be happy sticking with Google searches.
But if you are ready to get experienced advice so that you can make potent herbal medicines without years of trial and error, then you’ll love Rooted Medicine Circle.
The truth is that a lot of the free information out there is flat-out wrong, outdated, or overly simplified in a way that leads to confusion and weak herbal medicines.
For example, should you make a tea? Or a tincture? Is the plant best fresh or dried? How do you know what you are making is safe? Or effective? It’s easy to get stuck before you even begin. With our guidance, you will break through the confusion so you can get started right away.
Our approach to herbal medicine making is based on decades of experience, both as makers ourselves, as well as helping thousands of students along the way. Our information is straightforward, practical, and nuanced.
With Rooted Medicine Circle, you’ll be crafting exceptional herbal medicines without making costly and frustrating mistakes.
But this course isn’t just about learning the facts of medicine making. It’s also about deepening your relationship with plants and infusing your life with connection, wonder, and joy. Rooted Medicine Circle will help you prioritize and sink into the rhythms of the natural world around you.
Do I need to have cooking, foraging, or gardening experience to make potent herbal medicines?
Making exceptional herbal medicines requires knowledge and skill, but this doesn’t mean that you have to be an expert in the kitchen.
Our approach to herbal medicine is accessible and down-to-earth. Our success is seeing your success! We are committed to answering your questions and giving you essential tips for making potent remedies without being overly complicated. We are known for creative and simple recipes that become family favorites, ones that you reach for frequently.
And while this course accentuates getting to know the plants and other beings that live around you, foraging, wildcrafting, or gardening is not required. We provide resources to help you find quality herbs without growing or harvesting them yourself. However, if you do decide to harvest plants, we have ample materials to support you.